Monday, May 11, 2009

How can I grow vegetables indoors without things like mites that just killed off my tomato plants?

My tomato plants just got killed off with a bout of those tiny mites just before they were ready to harvest. I have one green pepper plant looking good but am back to the beginning for snow peas and cucumbers. I need to know who to kill mites or how not to overwater, etc

How can I grow vegetables indoors without things like mites that just killed off my tomato plants?
Overwatering. This is a serious problem for tomatoes, they hate it. I use the finger test. In the morning I check my tomatoes (in large pots on the front and back balcony). I stick my pointer finger in the soil up to the first joint. If the tip of my finger meets dry soil I water.





Spider Mites?





• Spider Mites


"Combine 1/2 cup buttermilk, 4 cups wheat flour and 5 gallons water and apply the same as the aphid solution. This suffocates spider mites and other mites."





• Aphids


"To keep aphids and other pests off your plants just finely chop1 onion and 2 medium cloves of garlic. Put ingredients into a blender with 2 cups of water and blend on high. Strain out pulp. Pour liquid into spray bottle. Spray a fine mist on plants, making sure to coat both tops and bottoms of leaves."





• Insects





"This is a recipe for an organic insect repellant that works pretty well with most insects.





¤ 3 hot green peppers (canned or fresh)


¤ 2 or 3 cloves garlic


¤ 3/4 tsp liquid soap (cheap dish soap (no additives) works)


¤ 1/2 tsp veggie oil


¤ 3 cups water








Heat water, add the hot peppers and garlic. Whir in a blender. Strain out pulp. Let liquid cool. Add the liquid soap and oil. Pour liquid into spray bottle. Spray a fine mist on plants, making sure to coat both tops and bottoms of leaves."
Reply:Spray with homemade insecticides (garlic and pepper). Tomato needs lots of water. To test the soil, stick your finger into it. Feel damp, no watering.

shoe lasts components

No comments:

Post a Comment