Monday, May 11, 2009

Are grasshoppers bad for tomato plants?

I found a large brown grasshopper on one of my humongoid tomato plants today while watering. It alarmed me because in the list of bad insects for tomatoes I thought this was one. I have an organic garden and have about 20 tomatoes growing right now. If grasshoppers are bad, how can I kill/get rid of them organically?


Thanks!

Are grasshoppers bad for tomato plants?
Grasshoppers eat almost any plant. If the number of grasshoppers is high the damage will be significant. Covering the plant with row covers is the best prevention, but can also be expensive. Check out the first link for info on grasshoppers. Check out the second link for beneficial insects that will help to control grasshoppers. Preying mantis, and grasshopper bait are the most effective, but the bait is best applied early in the season. Most local garden centers only carry lady bugs and mantis eggs early in the season, so ordering online is probably your best bet. Try searching "beneficial insects" for more links.
Reply:i have never had a grasshopper bother my tomatoes .most all you need fear is aphids,maybe a leaf hopper........i never see many grasshoppers at a time so just catch and stomp....tom

sweating

No comments:

Post a Comment